HYDE-SMITH STATEMENT ON INVASION OF UKRAINE, U.S. SANCTIONS
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) today issued the following statement regarding the United States and allied response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine:
“The world has been cast into a very dangerous predicament with Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, which is a blatant violation of international law. I am concerned that our adversaries, including China, sense weakness in the White House and disarray in the administration, and that this will further embolden our enemies. We’ll see if sanctions and unified allied opposition convince Putin to reverse course. I am deeply concerned about this serious threat to global security and the resulting economic discord.
“I can’t help but think that stronger White House leadership from the start might have deterred this Russian aggression. Going forward, there can be no question that Putin’s aggression will be answered or where the United States stands when it comes to protecting democracy.”
- Sanction Russian banks and corrupt Putin cronies.
- Provide emergency funding for military equipment for Ukraine.
- Make it easier to sell weapons and give assistance to Ukraine.
- Boost funding for efforts to counter Russian disinformation.
- Stop the Nord Stream 2 pipeline.