WICKER, HYDE-SMITH ANNOUNCE $2.37 MILLION FOR IMPROVEMENTS TO LOCAL AIRPORTS
Miss. Senators Detail Nine Grants to Support Statewide Transportation Upgrades
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senators Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) and Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) today announced the award of $2.37 million for improvements to nine airports across the state. The grants will be awarded by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) on behalf of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
“Mississippi’s airports provide residents with a convenient and accessible travel option and support economic development in our communities,” Wicker said. “I am pleased the FAA has approved these grants to support the much-needed rehabilitation and expansion of existing airport infrastructure in our state.”
“Air service is an important asset for rural communities in Mississippi. I’m pleased the FAA is prioritizing airport improvement funding for small and rural airports. These FY2018 grants will help local officials undertake airport infrastructure improvements to support safe and efficient operations,” Hyde-Smith said.
The nine FAA grants for Mississippi will support the following airport improvement projects:
• Vicksburg Municipal Airport, City of Vicksburg – $371,052 for airport drainage improvements
• Yazoo County Airport, Yazoo County – $150,000 for design and site preparation for construction of a fuel facility
• University-Oxford Airport, University of Mississippi – $165,719 for pavement reconstruction
• Philadelphia Municipal Airport, City of Philadelphia – $230,400 for apron rehabilitation and installation of perimeter fencing
• Dean Griffin Memorial Airport, City of Wiggins – $71,901 for runway and apron rehabilitation
• McCharen Field Airport, City of West Point – $358,380 for airport drainage improvements and apron expansion
• Okolona Municipal-Richard Stovall Field Airport, City of Okolona – $100,977 for tree removal and apron expansion to provide additional space for aircraft parking
• Picayune Municipal Airport, Picayune County – $629,550 for taxiway construction and installation of taxiway lighting
• Ripley Airport, City of Ripley and Tippah County – $294,107 for installation of perimeter fencing
Additional municipal airports in Mississippi are expected to receive airport improvement grants from DOT.